Saturday, September 22, 2012

A Good Day...



I've had two great days spent in the yard, mowing, trimming hedges and general sprucing up around the cottage. It wasn't too hot and I got a lot of things done that I hadn't been able to do because of knee problems. I'm so thankful that it seems to be on the mend and that I could get out and "smell the roses" so to speak. 
Okay now on to why I have a pic of food on this post. I wish I had been a little more gentle when I was helping my plate, so that you could tell what that blob underneath the sour cream is. It's actually enchiladas made from leftover barbecue turkey that I made in the slow cooker a couple of weeks ago. I like things that I can make in the slow cooker while I'm sewing or making things for my shoppe. I also appreciate having leftovers of something that I can turn into a completely different dish for another dinner. So how do you turn barbecue turkey into enchiladas? This was a trial dish, one where I saw something in the grocery store that prompted me to picture the turkey leftovers in the freezer and it just came together exactly like I hoped it would. Easy doesn't begin to describe this but it's a good start...
I thawed the turkey, added jarred salsa to it and tadum! It tasted just like I wanted it to. So then I spooned it into corn tortillas, rolled them up and placed them into a casserole dish coated with non-stick spray. Now here's the item that got this dish going in the first place. Get ready now...
A can of queso blanco found in the Mexican section of the grocery store. I just emptied the can and spread the cheese on top, popped it into the oven and let it do it's magic. Don't snurl your nose! This was good, even JD approved and actually asked for more! No, they aren't real enchiladas or the ones I usually make, but it was soooo easy and just as delicious!
I served refried beans made from leftover pintos on the side. Just added about a tablespoon of olive oil to a cast iron skillet, added about a cup and a half of beans and something I never had thought to add before. The juice from jarred jalapenos, about 5 tablespoons. JD doesn't do spicy, so I only added the jalapenos onto my serving. The juice gave the beans exactly the amount of oomph I wanted. Please stop snurling. You have to try this!



See how relaxed JD is after that great dinner?


And Georgianna is relaxed too. On the bench on the sun porch, where I placed lots of pillows so that she would stay off of it. That was effective...
Yep, it was a good day!









No comments:

Post a Comment