Wednesday, October 10, 2012

When I Grow Up...

You'd think by now that I would indeed know what I want to be. Heaven knows I'm way past the point of being grown up. Recently someone was explaining her career path that she had planned out and I have to tell you that I was totally impressed, especially given the fact the she's still in her early twenties. It sparked a bit of rethinking my own life's pattern which looks like a zig zag pathway. This is how it's gone so far:
After high school I went to a technical college to be a dental assistant. Finished at the top of the class, got a job and poof, wouldn't you know that I detested the job!
Fast forward to being a young mother and off to work I go in the cosmetics department at Belk. I have to say that to date I stayed there longer than anywhere else. It was "okay".
On to front desk receptionist for a medical group. OMG, please stop the torture or shoot me. One or the other, you pick...
Kept children in my home. The torture continued...
Worked through a temp service as secretary at a chemical plant. Loved that job though I didn't have a clue as to what I was doing. The head foreman asked me to stay on as his secretary. Huh! I only type about 70 wam and that's the extent of office skills I possess...
Let me think here, oh yes bank teller. Have you ever dealt with people? And their money? They can get mean. Hug your teller next time you see her, or better yet, just take her something nice.
Produce stand manager. Loved doing that except when you only weigh about 120, it gets tough to lift 100 pound bags of corn, cabbage etc. Still my favorite job outside the home yet! Loved being outside all day, well minus the bees, snakes, etc...
Then last year I took classes and got certified as a nurses assistant. Now what was I thinking? Do I really want someone else's life in my hands? Uh, no. I'm just too nervous for that. Heck the classes themselves made me want to run for the hills. But I did graduate at the top of the class. Toot toot!
These aren't all of my jobs, just the one's I stayed on the longest. I was a stay at home mom which I enjoyed immensely, it was my favorite thing I ever did. I loved it so much that I stayed at home for years after he went off to college. That's how I was able to hone my skills a gardener, decorator and cook.
I'm busy now trying to open my shed into a shoppe. I spell it that way just 'cause I think it looks nicer:)
I'm hoping that I can make a go of this thing, that remains to be seen. But if it doesn't take off I have a back up plan...


I want to be Shania Twain!

1 comment:

  1. Enjoying your site so I'm nominating you for my Illuminating Blogger Award for informative, illuminating blog content. I know not everyone participates in blog awards but I hope you'll at least check it out because it's a great way to discover new blogs and meet new web friends. If you're interested in participating, you can check out the details at my site ... foodstoriesblog dot com & then click on "Illuminating Blogger Award" at the top of the page ... Either way, hope you're having a great day!

    ReplyDelete