Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Just when I thought it was safe...

I bought tomato plants yesterday, and even though we've been hitting temps in the high seventies and eighties, I've received a couple of 'what are you waiting for' glances from other gardeners. Some of those same gardeners have been around a little longer than me, they know what they're doing. Their generous vegetable gardens are proof of that. I can't help it, I've seen it too many times. Spring is here, put it in the ground and get it growing! And then what happens? Hail storms send your plants and your money down the drain. Oh and don't forget about those unexpected frosts. Well, last week on one side of the county there was, indeed a hail storm that wiped out three farmers entire crop of peaches. Gone, done. That's sad, I hate it for them. You can't bring peach trees inside, they're out there and nature will do what it will. Had I set my tomato plants out last week? I would soon be purchasing more. Guess what's on the menu for tomorrow night? Frost. I've purchased some tomato plants, but haven't planted them yet. Pray for the farmers. If they lose their crops, it costs them and you!

I think I'll wait a little while...






No comments:

Post a Comment