Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Bringing The BBQ Inside...




When I considered the options of posting this recipe on Cottage Cuisine or on this blog, I opted for this one. The reason for that is when I post anything on CC, it feeds directly to my Feastie page. AND, since this isn't some of my proudest work, I don't really want it on Feastie. Sooo! Here it is...

Ingredients for the rub:

1 four pound Boston butt roast
2 tablespoons dry yellow mustard
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Let me add to this, if you would. I like spicy, JD does not. If I were making this just to suit myself, I would've added paprika, maybe a teaspoon, and definitely some cracked red pepper, to taste. I would have also added apple cider vinegar to the bowl of hickory chips, to give it some extra zing, and to clear my sinuses, and any company that might drop by :)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.


Mix all of the ingredients for the rub in a small bowl and spread them on the roast, rubbing them into every nook and cranny. Place the roast onto a ginormous piece of heavy duty aluminum foil, or tin foil as we say. I start mine out uncovered, and after about one hour of cooking, I wrap the flaps of foil over the meat and continue cooking for about another four hours. Insert a meat thermometer into the center and away from bones. When it reads 165 degrees, it's done. 


Let the meat rest for about thirty minutes before you begin to chop, shred or slice it. 


I like to do a little chop-chop, a little shredding, and a little slicing...


Keep it up until you have cleaned that bone!


Yes, normally I serve bbq with slaw, but there's a story here. Our church had a bbq for the community a couple of weeks ago. All of us ladies gathered and brought our food processors and grated enough slaw to feed the entire island of Manhattan. Guess what there was plenty of after said bbq was over? Yep, that's right, and JD and I and the whole church had slaw for a week with everything we ate...
Now you understand why we had confetti macaroni salad, right? 
I also served it with sliced cantaloupe and mustard barbeque sauce. 
Unconventional, but delicious!



No comments:

Post a Comment