Tuesday, May 29, 2012

To Smoke, Or Not To Smoke....




Well, in our case the decision was not to smoke. I think JD and I agree that there was probably a good reason that someone gave him the smoker. At around two o'clock yesterday afternoon, when I went to take a quick peek and pic of the smoking Boston butt, I got a surprise. The only thing smoking was the water pan in the bottom of the smoker. The little smoker was doing all it could, but no cigar. Or butt...
So, I loaded the meat up and put it into the oven, finished it off there with wood chips in a small bowl of water and it all turned out well. Quite delicious as a matter of fact. You would think that as much as I love to cook and love to blog, that I would be able to remember to capture it all with my camera. I think the problem here is that I love to eat more than I love to do either of the above, so my stomach takes over and I forget the photos. Blondie here, and no hope for it...
I have a little experience with charcoal smokers, but yesterday was my first foray into the electric smoker world. I personally see advantages to both. JD is thinking of building his own charcoal smoker now. Or replacing the burner in the electric one. I don't much care either way, but I can tell you this... it will be a very long time before I take on a big ol' Boston butt in my oven on a ninety degree day again...the cottage was still hot last night at eleven o'clock. Just sayin'. I'll get the photos I did manage to take and recipes posted later on Cottage Cuisine.
BBQ anyone?
Did you have a fiasco yesterday? Love to hear about your Memorial Day in the comments section!
Oh, after proof reading this, I'll try my best not to use the word 'smoker' for awhile...





No comments:

Post a Comment